The Beginning of The Great Stagflation?

It was the year of 1958, when British economist and statistician Alban William Housegeo Phillips published a paper in Economica, named The Relation Between Unemployment and the Rate of Change of Money Wage Rates in the United Kingdom, 1861 - 1957. Phillips observed that the data shows a relationship between unemployment and money wage growth. The data showed that wage growth was low whenever unemployment was high and vice versa. 

Phillips, however, was not the first one how observed this. You can already find similar findings in the writings of David Hume in 1752, or 30 years prior to Phillips in an essay from Irving Fisher in 1926. Nevertheless, Phillips did not argue that higher wage growth rates will lead to lower unemployment, but Phillips argued that there is a stable relationship because in times of a tight labor market, it would be easy for workers to bargain for higher wages. 

It was Paul Samuelson and Robert Solow, who developed Phillips model further and replaced money wage growth with inflation. They assume that higher wages will ultimately lead to higher prices, a wage-price spiral. While Phillips saw higher growth rates in money wages as a result of low unemployment, Samuelson and Solow claimed that there can be a trade-off between inflation and unemployment.

Politicians loved that idea: Whenever there was high inflation, politicians started to refer to Samuelson and Solow, saying that society would be much worse off if inflation was lower and therefore unemployment  would be higher. If one wants a booming economy, there would be high inflation as a side product. 



Nobody would argue against the fact that, in a tight labor market, businesses have to compete with one another to acquire workers and therefore bid up wages. However, the idea that there would be a linear correlation between unemployment and inflation, is a mistaken, especially over the long and medium term. 

If a central bank is expanding the quantity of money within the economy, because it hopes for stronger economic growth, demand for goods and services in the economy will increase. Strong demand will lead to an expansion in production capacity (businesses need more workers) and wages (and thus prices) will start to rise. However, this leads to disequilibrium as the unemployment rate falls below its' natural rate and prices rise further

Nevertheless, sooner or later workers anticipate that there has been a rise in the quantity of money and their inflation expectations will adjust accordingly. Thus, they will decrease demand for goods and services and as a result unemployment will return to its' natural level. Therefore, the increase in GDP cannot last for long and can never withstand over the long term (Milton Friedman and Edmund Phelps made this criticism as early as the mid-1960s, but it nobody wanted to listen to them).

In principal, Friedman and Phelps predicted what should become reality in the 1970s, but during the 60s, politicians had no reason to deal with this criticism because the Phillips Curve worked back then. 

In the 70s everyone was reminded that it is not only unemployment that influences inflation numbers. Firstly, President Richard Nixon implemented wage- and price controls, which led to a pick up in commodity prices and secondly, there was the 1970s energy crisis (1973 and 1979). In October of 1973, during the Arab-Israeli Yom-Kippur war, the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) started to cut back on oil production to put pressure on western allies of Israel. 

As a result, oil prices went up 70 % - from 3 to 5 US-dollars. As a result (and because western governments have printed lots and lots of money during the 60s) inflation took off. In 1972 US YoY inflation was at 6 %, 1974 it was at 13 %. The next chart shows US YoY inflation and US unemployment in the 70s.


However, as one can see, rising inflation did not lead to falling unemployment, but to economic stagnation. According to the Phillips Curve, this should not be possible. While inflation fell during 1974 and 1976, it took of again during the end of the decade before Fed chairman Paul Volcker was able to fight inflation because he raised interest rates heavily. What followed was 40 years of a deflationary environment.


The last 40 years have been deflationary although broad money supply (M2) has risen steadily since 1980. There are two factors which whitewashed the growth in the quantity of money: Productivity growth and a growing labor force. The baby boomers started to enter the labor force and simultaneously women decided to earn a living for themselves to become more independent. As a result, the labor force started to increase.

Additionally, globalization pushed international money wage rates down because Asia started to participate on international trade. Many companies moved their production facilities from the West to the East (especially jobs for lower-skilled workers). 

Simultaneously, big technological progress brought down prices in many parts, especially in electronics, a sector that should become more and more important. Prices fell for a variety of products, for example cloths, telephones, personal computers and other stuff. The aging of the population played another role that this environment was price deflationary.

Nevertheless we should not call the monetary regime during that time a deflationary one. Monetary policy have been anything but deflationary. Monetary inflation of M2 has been around 6 % since the 1960s and has been growing exponentially.




It cannot be denied that - if the money supply has not grown at such pace - prosperity would have been greater for the broad mass of the population, because prices have been hindered to fall by monetary policy.

This kind of monetary policy had another side effect: Prices of financial assets have gone through the roof and this influenced people how they save and invest. Weirdly, they think that it is an investment when they are building a home because they expect that land and real estate prices will continue to rise indefinitely. Nevertheless, the 2000 and 2008 financial crisis would have corrected those excesses, if we would have let it. 

However, politicians deserved to kick the can down the road instead of a short, hard turnaround which was urgently needed. They see the cure as the disease and vice versa. If one assumes (as the politicians) that the boom is the cure, another crisis means that the medicine (cheap money) stopped too early or was not high enough. 

As a result, debt was already at high levels before the pandemic hit in spring of 2020. Public debt has been 86 % to GDP within the Eurozone and 106 % in the United States. The years prior both economies managed to hold the debt either constant (US) or to diminish it a little (EU), compared to GDP. 

When governments closed businesses to slow the spread, demand collapsed. As a consequence, governments had to widen their deficits again. In the United States, many businesses fired their workers, who received big transfer payments from the government than. On the other side of the pond, the German/Austrian Kurzarbeit was implemented: Workers cut down on working hours (partly to 20 %) and governments subsidized wages, or subsidizes wages as the programs are still in plays. 

As a result, debt/GDP ratios have been on the rise since - 130 % for the United States and 100 % for the Eurozone.




While I think that an opened economy (one without, or just the first lockdown) would have led to a better outcome than the actual one, most governments and economists have thought otherwise: Most of them lockdown the population, especially in the European Union, where even the big Auto factories were closed in spring of 2020. 

After a slight recovery during the summer months, where governments reopened, the virus returned during the winter months and again governments had no other concept than closing everything. Even though factories mostly remained open, retail and restaurants were closed again. 

With no options of consumptions left, people with middle and higher income increased their savings and therefore the overall savings rate spiked. All this things needed to be taken into consideration if we want to answer the question if the economy will turn into a stagflationary environment after the grand reopening

Again, comparably to the events in the 1970s, a supply side shock has brought the economy into disequilibrium. With currently prevailing, highly expansive fiscal policies, it can be clearly observed that stimulating demand in times of a lack of supply due to lockdowns will hardly have any effect on production. One forgets that the economy is a living vessel in which many different actors make different, spontaneous decisions.

Government officials think that the economy works like a machine that one switches off and turns on later. They assume that the recovery will happen fast, but they overlook that imposed business closures do not affect all sectors of the economy equally. This is a phony assumption.


'There are sectors that will take years to recover: Travel and Leisure, Autos, Retail, Fashion, Music, Cinema, Tourism and Energy all face years of weak demand, balance sheet reparation and survival-mode strategies. 

 

The collapse in earnings and cash flow followed by the more-than-likely tax hikes that we will likely see are also going to create an enormous burden on Research and Development, innovation and technology.'

The Biden-administration and EU politicians have already started their campaign for higher taxes and sadly I have no doubt that they will find another innovative way for a new tax. That is the only part where politicians are being innovative: Taxes.

Currently Europe is in the middle of the grand reopening while the process is already done in the United States where it has started months prior. Accelerating demand and bottlenecks in supply chains have pushed prices higher and I think that in Europe there will be more catch-up effects to come as the economy has not even fully opened. However, German YoY CPI inflation is already at 2011 highs - 2.5 % YoY, expected 2.3 %.

Money that has been saved because of a lack of consumption possibilities is flowing back into the economy. People go out to restaurants and business, demand is returning, supported by government transfer payments.

The economy is accelerating and so do prices, as they should in a reopening phase. However, as high debt on the one side and manipulation of interest rates by central banks is not supportive for economic growth, my prognosis is that growth will slowdown later that year. While the US has at least implemented some support for the supply side, the EU has solely spend money to increase demand.

Moar of the same therefore will lead to a more concentrated economy. Small and medium businesses may not have the same access to debt as big corporations and they definitely do not have as much asset to collateralize. Therefore more and more of them may escape from the market place. A pity, if we remember that it is small and medium enterprises that make our economies thrive.

Big business suffers the same problems as governments: The greater they become, the more inefficient they get. This is bad news in times of increasing economic crises. Output will stagnate because of a lack of competition, because small competitors either go out of business or get bought by big business. 

Simultaneously, governments are creating an environment where people stop to look for a job in low-income sectors because they prefer to receive the governments transfer payments. As a result, wages for low-income jobs go up, which may look gratifying at first. 

Governments intervene big already and they will continue to do so and as a result supply chains will erode further, and maybe they already have. If governments keep wages above the equilibrium level, supply will diminish while the money supply will continue to grow. More quantities of money will hunt less and less quantities of goods. 

The economy may stagnate, but inflation will remain high and as a result job markets will come under pressure. Supposedly governments will impose infrastructure projects to fight it, but they only will reallocate resources and hinder labor and capital to be used in parts of the economy where they would be more in need. High demand and falling supply is the perfect recipe for stagflation...

And still, central bankers are counting on an expanded model of the Phillips Curve (they now assume that inflation expectations remain constant). But will they?

Have a great weekend!
Fabian Wintersberger

Disclaimer: This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity.




Comments

  1. Hello views, I am so excited to share this wonderful story here .

    I was diagnosed with herpes virus and I was told there was no cure except medication that can control it, I totally lost hope, all I could think was losing my life because I was so depressed and confused about the whole situation , few weeks ago I read about Dr Oso online how he cured someone from cancer which was guaranteed, but i never still believe on it but i decided to give a try on him so I ordered the medicine after using it for few days i started experiencing changes all over me so i waited until i finish using the medication, so after everything I went for blood test to confirm if i am really healed from this virus to my greatest surprise it came out negative i jump up and shattered oh my goodness what a wonderful miracle i never believed in . I am so excited to share my testimony. Thank you so much Dr Oso . You are a great man. I must tell everyone I know who has any kind of disease or virus. you can also email him on via drosohaberhome@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2348162084839

    you can check on Dr oso site : https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

    you can also contact me for more info about Dr Oso faceynancy1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM LUPUS DISEASE,
    I'm here to testify about what Dr.Ovie did for me. I have been suffering from (LUPUS DISEASE) for the past 4 years and had constant pain,especially inside my body. During the first year,I had faith in God that I would be healed someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago. I came across a testimony of a lady on the internet testifying about a Herbalist Dr called Dr.Ovie on how he cured her from LUPUS DISEASE. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help.so I emailed him telling him about my (LUPUS DISEASE) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this Dr. Ovie a few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr. Ovie assured me that I will be cured,after some time. i went to my doctor to confirm if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE,the test came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr. Ovie for help.You can contact him on email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@gmail.com or contact Dr Ovie on yahoo email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@yahoo.com Call or WhatsApp Dr on +2349056393169 .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so Happy to write this article because I know it will help a lot of people who are suffering from Herpes. I am here to testify about the wonderful and most safe cure for herpes . I was positive to the deadly Virus called herpes and I lost hope completely because I was rejected even by my closest friends. I searched online to know and inquire about a cure for herpes and I saw testimony online on how Herbalist called Dr Osamu who cured so many people from Herpes virus and other similar diseases. I decided to contact the great herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural roots and herbs. After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure is ready and he sent it to me via UPS and it got to me after 4 days. I used the medicine as he instructed (morning and evening ) and I got cured. it's really like a dream but I'm so happy that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me and if you need his help, contact him via Email: dr.osamuherbalremedy@gmail.com or WhatsApp:+2349012406016

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the great Dr Ehimare herbalist doctor that has cured many people of HPV DISEASE today i am here to testify on his wonders on my life. for changing my life for the better after all the frustration of getting cured finally i got introduce to DR.Ehimare for which i believe has a cured after reading all his testimonies. after writing to him. he responded quick to me that i will be cured for my HPV DISEASE once i am able to receive his herbal medicine. afterwards he prepared my herbal cure and sent to me and when i did received it and used it. i was surprised that there was changes going on in my body. behold after using the medicine for the days he assured me that i should go and test myself. and getting there i was found HPV negative, and even the doctor was surprise and told me this can only be a miracle. i'm completely cured today and that happened by the great herbal remedy. contact DR.Ehimare Now on his email:drehimare3@gmail.com or his WhatsApp Number::+1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete
  5. months ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had Herpes about 1 year ago and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online a lot of people says they got herpes cure from DR ODUDU and I contacted DR ODUDU that same day I purchase his cure online, after three weeks of taking the herbal treatment i got cured totally. i tested negative all thank to DR ODUDU you can reach out to him through his email: [dr.oduduherbalhome@gmail.com ] or message him on WhatsApp +2348101571054 stay safe and bless you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2016, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him number: +2348054615060 Contact him today

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT PREGNANT.. My name is Janet VedalI have been married for 4 years without any child . My Fallopian tubes was blocked. I tried everything possible to get pregnant and nothing was working. I visited so many hospital's my problem never seems to end. I lost hope and felt depressed. One faithful day I started checking online on how to get pregnant in the comment section and people were testifying about how they got results after they used  Dr. Oyama herbs,  I was surprised about the testimony and decided to talk with him about my own issue. After explaining to him he said I have to purchase some medication from him after getting this medication I became pregnant and gave birth. If you want to talk to Oyama  contact him on WhatsApp +2348108264684 Page  @Oyamaherbs  Email address : droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ohunyom online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drohunyom@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2349060579973 Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ohunyom online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drohunyom@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2349060579973 Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Ehimare helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is drehimare3@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on Drehimare3@gmail.com Or whatsapp him via +1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day to you all from the United States,I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last eight years and have had constant pain, especially in my private parts. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B diabetes) by this Man Dr Ehimare and she also gave the email address of this man and advise me to contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Ehimare telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man, few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Ehimare assured me ,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed, behold it was TRUE, email Dr Ehimare on : (drehimare3@gmail.com ) whatsapp him : +1 (267) 691-1087 And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone i was diagnosed of herpes simplex virus for about 8 months ,I’ve lost all hope and my doctor said there is no possible cure and I have been taken antiviral to sustain myself I have had several out break from the time I was diagnosed till I got to know about Dr.Ebhota through a friend who he cured of Herpes . I contacted him and he sent me his herbal remedy which I took as he directed me to do for some days and I went to the hospital after consuming his Herbal medicine and I was confirmed Herpes Negative after 8 months of pains and depression , it was indeed a miracle, Dr.ebhota is a great man, I have heard so much about how he has help lot of people, He also cure ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES, DIABETES and lots more. If you have any issues you can contact him for help add him on whatsapp +2348089535482. or via email:Email drebhotasolution@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  13. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.I was positive to the Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw testimony about DR Ebhota online on how he cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email: (drebhotasoltion@gmail.com) You can contact him on WhatsApp +2348089535482 He also have the herb to cure difference cure for any sickness (1) HERPES,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) HEPATITIS B,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Roman Fate?

The ECBs Dilemma